Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What's going on?

Well, it's been a little while since i've updated what actually is going on over here in New Zealand, so let me take a minute to do that.

Since I last left you, I was in the midst of looking for a job. I ended up finding one last week at a retail bookstore, Whitcoulls. One of the largest bookstores in New Zealand, well, just take a look for yourself.

Whitcoulls Official Website

So for the last week I have worked there in additional to working 16 hours at the hostel to cover my accommodation. And in that week I learned that retail and me just don't click. So I cut back on my hours there, moreso towards zero, and will be looking for other work somewhere more palatable...I can get into specifics, but i'd just be whining. Let's just say it didn't help wearing an extremely red shirt every day.

Anyways, so right now I am back to square one. Right now, my only hours are behind the desk at the hostel...which looks a little like this:



Yes, this is Surf N' Snow Backpackers in Auckland. Now I know you're saying that I complained about my other work shirt, so what gives. Ok, I never said my reasoning was rock solid. Oh, and I am definitely giving the universal Asian picture pose. When in Rome...

Also, this weekend I will be driving to a city called Coromandel with sir Marcus to go check out some concert. This van is called a spaceship and is super-neat (yes, I said that) with a bed, grill, dvd player and a steering column on the wrong side of the dash. So that should be interesting. Because A) Other side of road being driven on B) the route to be taken is mostly coastal, and by coastal I mean, 'oh look, roads with no guardrails' coastal. Ah, there's no need for a C). But it's free, and that's a good price, so I will keep you posted on how that goes!!

Also, I climbed Mt. Eden the other day, which is one of dozens of dormant volcanoes in Auckland and New Zealand in general. It is the highest natural point in Auckland and gives an amazing view. Here is the view:



It was pretty cool, and worth the walk/hike. (Yes, I know, awesome videography...yikes).

So things are going good over here. I hope everyone back home is staying warm! I miss all of you and will keep you posted as always.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Haha, be careful of the passenger side mirrors...I drove a whole week in Ireland, hours upon hours, just to get to a point where I was relaxed a little, and BAM, I clipped off a mirror. Ha. Memories...Luckily a very polite man at a VW dealership helped us out for little to nothing. Gotta love those guys.