Sunday, October 5, 2008

Auckland in one piece...

So I got into Auckland after 36 hours of continuous travel. Boston-Charlotte-Los Angeles-Fiji-Auckland. I was 80% sure Mark would be there at the airport, but i don't think i give him enough credit...he was there. I got in at about 2 in the afternoon, and it was good to see a familiar face. We didn't waste anytime, and after dropping off my bag at the hostel we did this...



So that was scary. But it was free, so that was great. It’s much more satisfying not paying for almost dying, I would feel silly otherwise. Mark works for the hostel doing travel sales and reception, so he hooked up this Skywalk for us. It's off this structure called the Skytower (630 feet):



Afterwards, I changed my pants. Yes, I know that's what you were thinking...

So i've been in Auckland for 4 days now. It is a really interesting city is many ways. I will be posting pictures soon, when I can get access to the work computers here, so bear with me. I am going to begin working at the hostel for a few days a week, and that will gain me free accomodation. I'll also be looking for other work as well to start balancing out the money i'm spending. Every time I open my wallet it’s a sobering moment. So I have my resume and I’ll go out this week and find something I am completely overqualified for.

So life here is good. I’m nearing the point of comfortability and looking forward to getting into sort of a rhythm here. I’ll try to post more frequently. I’ll starting having more time to do so.

Fun Fact: New Zealanders refer to green peppers as capsicums. I know this because Mark also works at Subway. Yes, I just said that.

2 comments:

Mike Barrett said...

Have you and Mark talked about what would happen if you got a job at Blimpie's Auckland? I just don't want to see something so simple, as working at competing sandwich shop chains, come between you two. Maybe it's time you sat down and had a chat before it becomes and issue.

Much love. Stay away from 38 Fort Street.

Sarah Lynn Knowles said...

glad youre not dead.