Sunday, October 12, 2008

Intersection

I was walking past the harbor today and I was nearing the street corner ready to cross. I missed the light. So I was waiting there, and it was about 7:30pm so the sun is setting; I'm listening to my ipod. I'm standing there staring blankly across the intersection when I notice the sky's brilliant red streaking through the skyline above my head. It's cutting into the tall buildings just dropping into the streets but I had caught it. In that moment, my ipod is playing the perfect song and it all happens at once.
The warmness rushes over me and paints a smile on my face as I stand. It takes all of thirty seconds but it feels like so much longer, like time is frozen still. And it is all that is needed to make my day.
On trips I look for these moments. When everything and everyone is so far away and home is just a thought, I can lose sight on what I am really there for. These moments, this moment, brings that back into focus. In these seconds I feel everything. It's overwhelming, but it is what makes it all worth it. The cramped living spaces, the passing acquaintances, the time away from real life, missing friends and family, and all of the uncertainty. It goes away and lives inside of you at the same time.
And then the light changes. So I walk on to that cramped living space, to wish another someone good luck on their travels. Still away from real life, uncertain about tomorrow...and I wouldn't change any of it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The beauty of a sunset or a sunrise is unequaled- a time of awe-or awesome in the real sense of the word. It quiets the soul and gives you hope. My hope is that you enjoy many awesome moments in your lifetime, as well as during this trip....bev

John V said...

Was it 3eb red summer sun?

MikeRyan said...

the world may never know.

Mike Barrett said...

I wasn't like every other kid, you know, who dreams about being an astronaut, I was always more interested in what bark was made out of on a tree. Richard Gere's a real hero of mine. Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that. I care desperately about what I do. Do I know what product I'm selling? No. Do I know what I'm doing today? No. But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot.

Rachel said...

What song was it mike?!? I need to know that to truely visualize the moment you were having that sounds so beautiful!! Wish I was there having those moments! :) So glad you're having an amazing time!

Anonymous said...

You use your tongue pertier than a $20 whore. At that same moment I was probably scratching myself while eating frosted flakes and staring at Sunday Morning on CBS.

Unknown said...

wow, i wish you had a picture of that. it sounds amazing.