Monday, March 2, 2009

Where it all began...

Don't settle for what life gives you, take some of what it doesn't

That is what Australia has taught me

So for the past 3 weeks I have been traveling around Australia and it has been amazing. I've seen so many things and experienced it all with 2 friends who I met in this country 5 years ago...I couldn't have asked for anything more. Leaving Melbourne was hard because it was such a good experience for me, but it was time to go and i'm used to that feeling by now.

We headed to Brisbane and walked around the city, went to the city beach (which is a man-made lagoon in the middle of the city with imported sand), and went out at night. Also, we played a lot of Dig-Dug and Ms. Pacman, but that's a different story. It's a nice city, but a little bland for my taste.

After that we headed to the Whitsundays for 7 days, which is further north up the east coast. We did a daytrip to a place called Whitehaven beach, where the sand is so pure, NASA actually has requested a number of tons of it to create a lens...that is serious. We did more hanging around and going out, and it was good times.

Then we headed down to Sydney, and it was great going back to a city that was familiar in my head. It was really the first place I ever went outside the country, and my memories of it were so strong that I was really looking forward to going back. Pretty much for the last 5 years, I would think about it from time to time. Seeing all the same things, streets, shops, and the harbors was really amazing, and we are actually headed back there in a few days before Mark and I fly out to Thailand on March 10th...so quickly approaching!

So for the past 4 days we have been hanging out in Wollongong, which is the university that I studied at 5 years ago. Talk about serious memories...that semester changed my life. Seeing the campus 5 years later has been great...going to the same beaches, the university, and the classy bars that were still so fresh in my mind...hard to describe. Being back here with Dave and Mark has only added to that, as it is the place we all met. All of us wholeheartedly agree that the experience was so unique and has shaped us is some way.

So like I said, it's been a great 3 weeks in Australia traveling around. And the fact that the same lunchlady is still working at campus east (my dorm rooms) is just a bonus. It will be crazy leaving this country again, but I am so excited to experience Thailand and Hong Kong that I think I'll be alright.

On a side note, I have eaten so much god damn Subway on this trip that it's shameful. Seriously, I really need to stop. That's all for now, sorry this post was pretty scattered, but that is how I am today.

No comments: