Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What's the capital of Thailand...

Bangkok...a mix of crowded streets and interesting smells.

It really was like nothing i've ever seen. It's another world...what an experience. The streets are completely congested and you can't go a minute without being offered something....

Massage (i'm saying it sarcastically though...i mean, it's a massage, but like not a massage massage...you get it?)

Clothing (Mark and I were brought into about 5 tailoring shops...i'll explain more later)

Lady (some are actually ladies, some are just ladies in the way that Dennis Rodman was a lady in 1998)

Food (it is 90 degrees every day, yet hot chicken and other various meats are being cooked on the street and pushed like I would ever want dog on a stick when i'm sweating)

Tuk Tuk/Moped/Taxi rides (this is actually happening every 8 seconds...but i have to admit that a Tuk Tuk ride is hilarious)

Tuk Tuk situation: (picture of driver below)


Tuk Tuk Driver: Get in! 20 Baht (Thai currency...also funny to me)
Me: 20 Baht? No thanks....
Tuk Tuk Driver: 10 Baht, 5 (points to me) and 5 (points to Mark)
Me: (First encounter and a little sketched out) Umm, 1 Baht (points to myself) and 1 Baht (points to Mark, looking equally freaked out)...
Tuk Tuk Driver: Ok...1 Baht each
Me (and Mark): (Look at eachother in amazement) Umm, ok?

Now a little lesson here: 1 American Dollar = 36 Baht

** SO this means that 2 baht for what turned out to be a 30 minute ride around the city cost us the equivalent of around 6 cents. Ok, Thailand is officially cool.

A side note about Tuk Tuk rides. There is a deal worked out between the drivers and certain shops around the city...they bring you to these shops in the middle of your ride and you have to go inside and act interested in buying 3 suits (no, seriously) for about 10 minutes, and the drivers get a free coupon for gasoline for their vehicles. So Mark and I wound up at about 10 different tailoring and jewelry shops. This gets old.

So, needless to say, we spent 3 days wandering around the city in amazement. Saw some Muay Thai fighting, which is primarily a Thai sport:


Saw this guy walking down the street a few times. Yes, on the sidewalk:


We also went to a Ping Pong show...which I had been told was a "must-do"...let me just say that I am happy I went so that I never have to go back again. I am officially scarred for life. It was worse than walking in on your grandparents...yes...doing that.

Oh and I also met my uncle...i'm glad he got that shirt that I sent him...he'd played coy like he didn't know me, but we know better...


But now I am in Phuket, which is on the southern side of the country. Basically I will be on a beach for the next week or so, before I meet up with Mark again in Hong Kong for some more adventures...so until then...keep on keeping on...keep trucking.

One last note: I am trying like hell to get videos up that i've taken, but the internet speeds have been unreal. I have literally tried to do this like 10 times to no avail. So I might give up altogether...either way, keep reading along, because I'm almost done with this trip and will become extremely boring in another month...exciting!!

No comments: