Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sweet as bro...

It is 4:30am on Thursday morning, and I am sitting at reception at the hostel working another overnight shift. This is prime blogging time. So, like expected, things are pretty regular right now. Well except for this:


This picture is made up of about 30% of the staff here. I hope this makes you laugh half as hard as me...



Ok, so I won't blather on about the election...but I just wanted to make a point from my perspective. Today Obama was named the next president, and instantly, the world's perception of the US has brightened. The world had really soured on us. I'm excited for that to change or at least have the opportunity to change. I've gotten around 4-5 hi-fives from people here that are from all around the world. Mostly they are from people who don't know the hi-five is like the fifth coolest way to celebrate these days, but still...you get my point.

Also, I picked up a few shifts at Whitcoulls this week - the bookstore I had previously quit (or kind of quit). Working a shift there makes me go through about 10 different emotions and maybe 1 is a positive one. I literally have to picture dollars in my wallet to make it through (yes, i'm whining). There is a guy named Rance (yes, Rance), who calls me "Like Mike", which I believe is a reference to Michael Jordan circa 1991...which is relative. I mean every time I walk by him though. There is a guy Johnno who is a self proclaimed "pen-freak". Sean is a girl who dances like a fairy princess around the store when closing time approaches. Jeremy is one of my managers, and he is about as thrilled with his job as McCain is with doing a pullup. Today I was told to stay "within the Gift Hub", a new promotional set-up to advise people of what to get their loved ones for Christmas. So, in the confines of the Hub, I've actually learned that time is slowed by some space-time continuum, which I think one of my co-workers has created. All I'm trying to do is give you a visual here. 3 1/2 weeks left. I can do this...

Oh, this might shed some light on the subject of my post today...New Zealanders say "sweet as" as a response to most things. So far I've found that it can be used to express: excitement, satisfaction, understanding, acknowledgement, unhappiness, disappointment, indifference. This video is a play on the New Zealand accent made by Aussies...the whale is saying he is "beached as"...basically ragging on the fact that they say "sweet as" so much; but you would've figured this out anyways:



P.S. I ate pizza with Mayonnaise on it tonight. I just got grossed out thinking about that moment again. Oh god what is happening.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just to let you know- Halloween around here was "sweet as..." as were the election results...High 5!!!!

Anonymous said...

I know you have to come back eventually but when you do, can you continue your blog please. They make me laugh...a lot.