Thursday, November 27, 2008

It's Thanksgiving Time

One week ago I arrived in the middle of nowhere. Got off the bus, looked around and thought to myself, "what the hell have I done". I was completely uncomfortable and out of place, and then I moved into my room in a house with 7 other people who all knew each other and all spoke another language. It was like the Real World meets the Twilight Zone and I was the main character. Sitting around with a group of strangers, I was a little out of my element. I wanted to leave and never look back.

I'm tremendously glad that I didn't. If I had left, I would've never had the opportunity to get to know these people. To rediscover that it is OK to be uncomfortable and out of place...that something good usually comes from overcoming that feeling. Sometimes I have to remind myself that the majority of people I meet on this trip are in the same position as me. I am leaving here tomorrow with new friends that I never thought I would have, and never would have had if I had left that day. While most of these people I will never see again, I will remember these things long after I am gone from here. I will remember the time I was stuck in a ridiculously small town on the other side of the world with a group of foreigners. Whatever that is worth, I'll take it.

Obviously, on a holiday like Thanksgiving, I am missing home. I miss my family, my friends, and normality. I picture everyone together, sharing the day with food and laughter, and it's a weird feeling. It doesn't leave me with sadness, but with the appreciation of what I do have.

I have parents that I miss a lot; who I wish I could be around the table with on a day like today. I have brothers that I hope are well, and can't wait to see again. I have friends who are second to none. Most people are lucky to have just a few, and I have so many who I care about and can't wait to see again. I miss and love you all, hope your holiday was great.

And I have this road in front of me that is headed back there. All in due time. Until then, I have so much more to see, and I can't wait.

Now for a laugh...check out this amazing Thanksgiving video clip courtesy of Ashlee...

Thanksgiving Time

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving from Lily and Me!!!

John V said...

Well said man. But seriously you better still be sarcastic and quick to make fun of people when you get back because you might just be doing a little too much growing up on this trip. We miss you. Happy Thanksgiving from me and the fam!

Unknown said...

I think I dig your stuff. Just let me know where to send some pasta salad.

Rachel said...

Aw Mike. I loved this post. I'm so glad you are collecting these little pieces that will probably change your life and make you into an even better person. And that uncomfortable feeling that you were talking about, good for you for overcoming it, that's something really hard for me to do. :) The unknown can be scary... :) Hope your holidays were, umm, interesting at the very least. You are lucky to have so many great people at home waiting for you.

frances said...

You are awesome.

Love you so much.

xoxoab